Friday, September 07, 2007

Window Shopping with Kuan Yin - Part II

Part II

I ate my noodles, the bowl held up near my face, my chopsticks swept the squirmy strands into my mouth. Kuan Yin placed her chopsticks down and let out an audible burp.
"Ah. I am satisfied. I feel so happy now." She looked peaceful and content. She placed her hand on my shoulder as I finished the last noodle.
"Nice?"
"Not bad, could have been more soy sauce."
"I did not realise how much I had missed the delicate taste of fish. The Japanese, they're so cultured."
"Yeah, well so are the Chinese," I could feel myself becoming defensive and competitive, "we invented dim sum you know - it means 'a little piece of heart'. It's pure perfection." Of course, she already knew this but she let me speak, she felt no malice, no need to justify her love of sushi.
"You know you will write about me one day. Not to make me famous, but to spread joy and laughter." I looked at her, putting down my empty bowl. She looked serious.
"Well, I don't know about that. I don't usually write about deities. " I hadn't told her my thoughts of giving up writing for a while to concentrate on singing. I wanted to start my own Chinese ABBA tribute band.
"That is why you will write about me, to let people know who I am and what I am here for."
"I know you're a goddess and all, but I'm sure you lot have got a whole marketing department that does that kind of thing anyway." She smiled and got down from her stool. I did the same.
"Shall we go window shopping?" she said linking her arm around mine.
"Yes, let's get out of here." It was comforting having Kuan on my arm - a mother, sister and friend rolled into one.

We paid and moved away from the sushi bar with it's conveyor belt. Kuan Yin's empty plates were stacked high like the leaning tower of Pisa, threatening to fall at any time.

Shoppers brushed past us unaware that the goddess of mercy and compassion floated in their midst. To them, we just looked like another couple of Chinese girls window shopping. Their heads were consumed by thoughts of iPods and Rocket Dog shoes, the new Heroes dvd boxset and three for two offers on knickers at La Senza. I felt sad that no one could see my friend's divinity, even the glass ceiling with the sun's rays shining through could not illuminate a light in comparison to that of Kuan's.

No comments: